Frieda B. The Whole Child is a PK-5 program that enables schools to delve into and communicate with students, staff and families the importance of supporting everyone’s STORY in order to work toward meaningful, relevant academic and social success…
…All the while complementing and enhancing the school’s existing English Language Arts (ELA) and Social-Emotional Learning (SEL) standards and initiatives.
Built with the Frieda B. series of picture books as its foundation, FBTWC is designed to help students and staff explore core SEL competencies in a highly personal and collaborative way, while also meeting ELA standards in reading, writing, speaking and listening.
Comprehensive lesson plans, instructional videos, interactive classroom activities, hands-on activities… all of these can be creatively orchestrated as the school and its educators choose:
- to complement and enhance the good story-building already taking place;
- to complement and enhance a school’s existing ELA/SEL standards and initiatives;
- to identify each student’s gifts and interests and encourage him/her to apply them in a way that holds meaning for him/her, academically and socially;
- to build a thriving culture among students and staff, built on the truth that everyone’s story matters and has an important place in this world;
- to communicate that culture of story to families, and find engaging ways to invite them to participate.
"Encourage and validate the whole child within each person. Foster belief and belonging via story, while developing a rich emotional vocabulary. Compare and contrast the unique stories of the author, characters, self (autonomy) and others (community).”
Curriculum: What is included?
Everything is bundled neatly in our FBTWC Toolkit, available to view/purchase in our online store:
- An Educator Handbook outlining the What, Why and How-to of the program.
- A step-by-step PK-5 Lesson Plan for each book.
- A Letter to Educators and an Educator Discussion Video.
- An Author Reading Video.
- A Classroom Activity Video.
- A “Building an Emotional Vocabulary with Zilla” Chart.
- Printable Hands-on Activities.
- Electronic Files for all printed elements within the curriculum.
- A set of 20 Gifts: Frieda B. Pencils, Buttons, and “Free to B.” Stickers.
- A Signed Set of Frieda B. Books for the school’s library.
- Discounts on Frieda B. Books for the school, staff and families.
Professional Development: Two Options
1. Leading your own FBTWC PD
You’ll find everything you need to lead your own in-house FBTWC professional development, right in our Toolkit, including a step-by-step guide to conducting a 3-hour session.
2. Live PD Sessions, Author Visits
We’ve put together a plethora of in-person options for you to choose from, so you can tailor what we provide to you specifically for your needs. There’s a $1500 Foundational Base Package that bundles the FBTWC Toolkit with up to three hours of professional development time with Frieda B. author, Renata Bowers. Also included in this Base Package is a discount on any additional add-on sessions. Contact us for full details, or to explore other options.
Interested in an Author Visit? Renata loves to work directly with students, and welcomes the opportunity to do so. A visit consists of three sessions, so she can tailor the messaging for every age group. Click here for full details and pricing.